Displayed in the Saint-Étienne church in France is the figure of René de Chalon, Prince of Orange. The prince died at the young age of 25 during the siege of Saint-Dizier in 1544.
Rather then memorialize him in the standard hero form, his wife requested (or René himself requested, or possibly both) that he be shown as “not a standard figure but a life-size skeleton with strips of dried skin flapping over a hollow carcass, whose right hand clutches at the empty rib cage while the left hand holds high his heart in a grand gesture.” (Source)
America, you do not exist in a vacuum.
Gun control works.
Higher minimum wage works.
Free health care works.
Free higher education works.
too bad the government doesn’t
Art and Bacteria: Photography by Seung-Hwan Oh
If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced.
That’s why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
- “Black Lives Matter”: Four black men from Ferguson share their perspectives, experiences, and advice to their children
- 11 year old Marquis Gavon perfectly sums up the problems in Ferguson
- Ferguson vs. Whitopia
- To Take Place and Have a Place: On Religion, White Supremacy, & the People’s Movement in Ferguson
- Social media and Ferguson
- BET pays tributs to Mike Brown at Hip Hop Awards
- Pictures from last night: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
- Unconscious Racial Bias: From Ferguson to the NBA to You
- What’s Happening Today: 1. Town Hall Meeting addressing misperceptions about the city of Ferguson from 6pm-8pm 2. Mother 2 Mother: A conversation with black mothers to white about “the talk” with their black sons. 6pm-8pm. More info.
Ultimate proof that cats are smart !!! more smart cats«
Cat intelligence is actually a pretty interesting topic in that the majority of studies on the subject basically have to end in the conclusion "we just don’t know" because cats are among the most uncooperative research subjects of all time. We know a great deal of cat sight, having used cats as the archetype for a vision-focused vertebrate/mammal, but we still know very little about what really goes on inside the cat mind.
i don’t want to be a part of a college system where plagiarism is a worse crime than rape
Emma Sulkowicz is on the cover of this month’s New York Magazine and that is the coolest thing wow
DUUUUDE this is a huge fucking deal honestly